SAU Community

Carsguide Survey On Drivers

scathing

Source

According to a survey conducted by CARSguide.com.au, provisional licence holders (P-platers) are confirmed as the worst Australian drivers.

So you'd think that they were surveying crash investigators, emergency service crews, advanced driver trainers, or perhaps insurance companies. You know, people qualified to give an opinion on driving ability.

Well, you'd be wrong.

Conducted by CoreData in partnership with CARSguide.com.au, the online survey of 1,121 people (62 per cent male/38 per cent female).

The survey also revealed that teenagers were the least popular drivers on the road

So they're asking plebs out there who's popular, not who's skilled. As anyone who's driven on the road knows, your average person knows sweet f**k all about how to drive a car. They wouldn't know good driving skills if someone clipped an apex right in front of them.

If you looked at the number of restaurants and the size of their customer base, McDonalds would have to be one of the most popular restaurants on the planet. But, despite that, somehow I doubt that McDonalds is going to score 4 Michelin stars.

Driving isn't fashion (ricers notwithstanding). Popularity doesn't make you good.

"This survey shows that the majority of respondents are in agreement that further restrictions should be placed on younger drivers to protect them and other people on Australian roads." CARSguide.com.au general manager, Tony Burrett said.

Too bad that they're not qualified to give that kind of information.

I think that the majority of respondents need a frontal lobotomy, and quite possibly a punch in the face, to protect Australia's future from becoming a nanny state where personal responsibility and the ability to learn and grow is preserved. I'm no psychologist / psychiatrist, but according to News Limited that's not exactly necessary.

Its this quality of journalism that reminds me that sometimes freedom can be a bad thing. Give the press freedom to write whatever, and you'll always get some money hungry gutter trash writing absolute shit.

they are preaching to the choir *read majority of public consciousness* who always remember that fast hoon plowing through traffic.... im reminded of this yellow evo 8 hooning across 3 lanes in peak hour traffic taking the shoulder and basically on wot the entire time i saw him, then an s14 infront of me decides its time to follow this tool an stomps his 4 banger into go and starts chaseing him....

it wasnt stand still trafic but basically 1 car length between cars AS FAR AS YOU COULD SEE the ENTIRE WAY HOME... who remembers that nice s2 33 that was driving like someone who is trying to get his baby home in one piece without scratches/dings etc and not attempting to act like some fastfurious tool playing with everyone elses lives

you dont see many taxi's trying to do that do you.. once again the minority that "over-represents" the resrt of us who know when and where to open up with your hobby eh ?

What else can you expect from a mainstream newspaper, people are never going to vote for themselves as the worst category. I bet some people on here would agree with elderly drivers and taxi drivers being included in the list, and to be honest there is probably a reason why insurance companies charge higher premiums for younger, more inexperienced drivers. That being said, all young drivers shouldn't be lumped in with the bad ones, but unfortunately, thats the way public perception works - no one ever remembers the courteous 18yr old road user who graciously gave way at the intersection.

I'm pretty disgusted with the way the articles pretends to state the results as 'gospel' however, and also with respondents who would not accept assistance from various members of the public. I for one would be grateful for any assistance I received while in distress on the roads, regardless of age, gender or any other prejudicial factors.

And as for the 63% of female drivers feeling insecure when driving, if your not confident on the roads, then get off them.

I'm pretty disgusted with the way the articles pretends to state the results as 'gospel' however

You see, that's my issue. If they sold the article as "unpopular drivers" then I'd concur. P platers, old farts, Asians, and Volvo drivers are hated on the roads.

It doesn't mean they're the worst drivers, it just means they're not liked.

...to protect Australia's future from becoming a nanny state...

it's sad to say it but we are already there mate. :P australia is massivley over regulated, over legislated, over policed, over enforced and just downright boring on the whole. we have ridiculous speed limits, gestapo-like enforcement of them, and this level of regulation and bureaucracy in every aspect of life. sadly behaviour by a small number of less desirable elements of society have scared the mainstream into buying into it all, and they vote for the wieners that make it happen :)

i may have to be come and ex-pat and move somewhere decent. where the government actually serves my interest. not a bunch of scared, law loving knob jockies.

i may have to be come and ex-pat and move somewhere decent. where the government actually serves my interest. not a bunch of scared, law loving knob jockies.

Might be time to move to Europe. The OEMs over there do "dealer specials" (can you see Mitsubishi Australia modifying Evos to FQ spec, or Nnissan Australia offering anything like the 350Z GT-S?), the government still understands that modern cars can safely do more than 100km/hr, and you can get quality made cars on the cheap.

And if you move to the UK you can remain in an English speaking country, with the steering wheel on the right, and live only 3 hours away from the Nurburgring (if you manage to pry yourself away from the B roads in Wales, Scotland, or the Isle of Man), as well as having some fantastic circuits in your own country.

I'm going to go against the grain and say I agree with them. I hate P platers the same way I'm sure people hated me when I was on P plates. Every P plater wanting to drag me, tailgate me... Bugger OFF, I'm not going to waste my petrol on you! Petrol's very expensive!

* A large majority (74 per cent) blame inexperience as the main reason for P-plater accidents

True....

* Over half (55 per cent) of Australians feel intimidated by other drivers on the road, with tailgating identified as the style of driving that intimidates them the most (73 per cent)

True...

Although I don't agree with everything they say, I'm sorry to say I do agree with some of their points.... Awaiting to be shot down.... >_<

Beer Baron: very good reply i agree 100%....

some ppl just forget the dumb shit that "experienced" drivers do on the roads... old ppl that cant see the windscreen driving with their chin on the wheel, the stupid decision that u can do ur license tests in another language!!! ( wtf is that do we have 30 different language street signs!), the old guys in the prestige cars ( porsche, bmw, mercedez etc) thinking they are all king shit hero;s on the road. i ve had 50 y/os in xr8s and clubbys try race me... its just that the majority always seem to remember the P platers... i wanna fit a camera in my car to show how bad these "experienced" drivers are...

the part that makes me disgusted and shows the stupidity and bullshit of the Majority is this remark

"The survey also revealed that teenagers were the least popular drivers on the road, with a majority (59 per cent) of respondents said they would not pull over to help a teenaged driver and 61 per cent would not accept assistance from a teenaged passerby if they were having car trouble. "

in car trouble, myself, friends, my parents have only been helped by young drivers... all those pricks who think like that WAKE UP TO URSELVES, u should be greatful if ppl lend a heand regardless of who or what they are

ben...

Edited by 2BNVS

it's sad to say it but we are already there mate. :) australia is massivley over regulated, over legislated, over policed, over enforced and just downright boring on the whole. we have ridiculous speed limits, gestapo-like enforcement of them, and this level of regulation and bureaucracy in every aspect of life. sadly behaviour by a small number of less desirable elements of society have scared the mainstream into buying into it all, and they vote for the wieners that make it happen :)

Well said !

I'm going to go against the grain and say I agree with them. I hate P platers the same way I'm sure people hated me when I was on P plates. Every P plater wanting to drag me, tailgate me... Bugger OFF, I'm not going to waste my petrol on you! Petrol's very expensive!

True....

True...

Although I don't agree with everything they say, I'm sorry to say I do agree with some of their points.... Awaiting to be shot down.... :)

People who have their opens are NO better tho! Hell in qld people cant even understand not to just sit in the right hand lane all day while everyone is forced to overtake on the inside. If they can lol, usually there is someone in the left doing ten under.

WTF is with doing ten under, its ten over ffs :)

Because everyone is so worried about getting done for doing 66 in a 60 or something equally pathetic people are forced to keep their eyes on their speedos and not on the road. This has gotta make the roads unsafe!!!!