SAU Community

Bov(s) On R32 Gtr?

Hi Guys,

After reading around the forums and trying to search (for some reason it gives an error) about BOV(s) and becoming more confused than ever I have to ask this question. I have a fairly stock R32 GTR, it has aftermarket air filters as the only mod to the engine. After recently taking my car to a mechanic and discussing future turbo upgrade options I asked if getting a BOV or BOV(s) would prolong the life of the stock turbos on there. From other people I have heard that it would, and from the mechanic he told me the opposite saying I would be wasting my money.

I'm looking at getting a turbo timer soon. I basically want to keep the GTR stock for about another year and then have enough money saved up to upgrade. What I don't want to have happen is the stock ceramic ones fall apart before then because I didn't have a BOV.

Cheers

Burgerman

Doesnt the 32 GTR have the factory twin blow off setup like the 33 and 34?. My advice is dont bouncve off the limiter, treat your engine good and the stockers wont give you problems. there is a 33 in my country that still runs the stock turb setup, and that dude abuses his car, they still havent let go. but a BOV will help prevent compressor surge that translates in less stress on the exh wheel.

Hi Guys,

After reading around the forums and trying to search (for some reason it gives an error) about BOV(s) and becoming more confused than ever I have to ask this question. I have a fairly stock R32 GTR, it has aftermarket air filters as the only mod to the engine. After recently taking my car to a mechanic and discussing future turbo upgrade options I asked if getting a BOV or BOV(s) would prolong the life of the stock turbos on there. From other people I have heard that it would, and from the mechanic he told me the opposite saying I would be wasting my money.

I'm looking at getting a turbo timer soon. I basically want to keep the GTR stock for about another year and then have enough money saved up to upgrade. What I don't want to have happen is the stock ceramic ones fall apart before then because I didn't have a BOV.

Cheers

Burgerman

Your car has two factory BOV's, they are very good even for high hp applications, so you wont need to change them even when upgrading your turbo. Dont boost your turbo's over 1 bar and you should be safe aswell.

The only reason aftermarket BOV's would benefit you is to prevent compressor surge. You can hear compressor surge if you have it. When you build boost, and let off, instead of the BOV compression release noise, its a bunch of short/fast compression releases, one after another... very obvious.

I actually think the stock BOV's would be better than aftermarket to prevent compressor surge. I noticed that my stock rb20 BOV was WAY more sensative than my blitz super sound, and now I actually hear a little compressor surge at like 1-2 psi boost.

hi mate, i would personally not touch the original ones. guys over here in the uk have had problems when changing the std bov,s .the afms or maf as some call them do not like vent to atmo...causes over fuelling when changing gear. as for location. this is mine and the 32 are in the same spot under the front drivers headlight behind the bumper.. note i am running d-jetro hence blitz twin bov,s bernie/uk

post-13735-1162754795.jpg

Another point worth thinking about is turbo timers.Basically I,and a lot of other people including some more knowledgeable,think they're a useless gimmick and a waste of money.Not only that but they can collect defect notices for you.There was a whole thread about them in the last week.You should be able to find it fairly easily.

Thanks for the info guys, puts me a little more at ease. I'll check out info on turbo timers. At the moment before I park the car I don't boost it for 5 mins before I park it so as not to park it on overly hot turbos.

Looks like I need to get under my car more often and try and find those BOV's. It's just that the last car I had an RB20DET motor and it had a noisy BOV visible in the engine bay.

Thanks again for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
The only reason aftermarket BOV's would benefit you is to prevent compressor surge. You can hear compressor surge if you have it. When you build boost, and let off, instead of the BOV compression release noise, its a bunch of short/fast compression releases, one after another... very obvious.

I actually think the stock BOV's would be better than aftermarket to prevent compressor surge. I noticed that my stock rb20 BOV was WAY more sensative than my blitz super sound, and now I actually hear a little compressor surge at like 1-2 psi boost.

I have noticed when I boost it and start to back off around 5 grand it will let off a series of sounds, anywhere from 3 to about 5 or 6 of them (hard to count cause it happens fast). Havn't really experimented by backing off quickly or slower to see if it makes a difference. Are there any other symptoms of compressor surge? it doesn't do it when I boost and change gear, only when I back off and stay in gear.

Also how bad is compressor surge to the life of the turbos? if I avoid boosting and backing off in the same gear will the turbos etc. be ok?

Cheers

If you have the stock BOV's i would very much doubt you have comp surge.

the stock GTR BOV's do make some interesting noises when you they are getting rid of a bit of boost :)

You can also (if you practice) get them to almost alternate, that could be there your hearing "different" noises.

Its hard to explain :P

the stock GTR BOV's do make some interesting noises when you they are getting rid of a bit of boost :kiss:

You can also (if you practice) get them to almost alternate, that could be there your hearing "different" noises.

Its hard to explain :)

Hahahah "alternate" - thats it, your spot on. I had a dead stock bnr32 with a cat back and pods. When driving, u can still get it to flutter by backing off the right amount and holding the throttle still for a while.

When over 3500-4000k rpm u can get the two (alternating) tones, that then trail off, like a 'teeter totter' kinda sound? =)

I assume your sort of catching the BOV's out, with the right combinating in the intake track and plenum, they dont open and you get some reversion. As for the two tone thing, Iv never heard it on anything bar GTR's :)

M

Yeah you do get quite alot of noise with stock blow off valves. Only you need a set of pod filters to hear it..

With stock recirculating blow off valves the air gets re-directed back into the intake of the turbos. Therefore when you back off completely you get that air hitting the compresor blades while they are slowing down. If you have a modified air filter setup (especially pods) you will hear this more due to the lack of extra baffling that the standard system has.

Correct me if im wrong..

No, your dead right, but we arent talking when you completley back off, this is when you've got a decent amount of boost going, then back off quickly, just a little bit, must be around 10mm, and you hear it.

From memory you had to then match the further releasing of the peddle 'curve' with the sound to make it go for longer

Hope that makes sense

I love the noise the twins make :P fluttering about between heavy throttle release .

They were quieter though when I had the stock turbos.....

Now the sounds have a higher pitch in the beggining when they open up and the flutter is more like

a large bird of prey....

LEAVE THEM ON.

Hahahah "alternate" - thats it, your spot on. I had a dead stock bnr32 with a cat back and pods. When driving, u can still get it to flutter by backing off the right amount and holding the throttle still for a while.

When over 3500-4000k rpm u can get the two (alternating) tones, that then trail off, like a 'teeter totter' kinda sound? =)

I assume your sort of catching the BOV's out, with the right combinating in the intake track and plenum, they dont open and you get some reversion. As for the two tone thing, Iv never heard it on anything bar GTR's :)

M

Yep, that "teeter totter" is the best term to describe it. Now I can tell people how it sounds instead of trying to compare it to something. I'll leave the factory BOV's on. Thanks for all your info and help guys.

If you have the stock BOV's i would very much doubt you have comp surge.

the stock GTR BOV's do make some interesting noises when you they are getting rid of a bit of boost :P

Its hard to explain :)

On a friends GTR we call this noise the angry panda, cous it sounds like a panda bear's mating call BAHAHAHA..

ne hoo, leave them on mate they are more than up to the task, although Ive been invloved in talk with people about them being more efficient if they were moved but theres not much room....so its a catch 22

Jez