SAU Community

ECU reset???

Champinco

yes....for sure...u could just feel the diff......the 1st day u reset it....the ECU re-map at highest preformance.during leaning...& later on...it keep changing until it go the best setting. It may be a little bit diff than the 1st drive but I could say it MUST be better than B4....easier to start.....better acce respon...fuel consumption.......

im interested in knowing this aswell..

i have a brant imobilser and alarm, and heaps of mods, but i was wondering if i should reset my ECU..

does it make a difference if my ECU is the standard one? or r u guys talking about reseting a aftermarket ECU?

hey guys here is caption from skylines downunder to doin it the ole 1,2,3 step, to better performance and fuel economy.........and yes they both work as i have done both steps and it is all good!

ECU Reset:

This is a very good procedure to follow, especially after making any changes to the car, for example after fitting a new exhaust, or air filter, or just every couple of months as part of a service routine.

To reset the ECU, disconnect your car's battery for 24 hours. This will reset the ECU to the factory defaults.

I have also heard that this can be done more quickly by disconnecting the battery and pressing the brake pedal (discharging any residual power in the car's electrical system), and then reconnecting the battery.

- It has been recently posted that this technique can help if done prior to a run down a drag strip, with a fuel tank of octane boosted petrol or #1 racing fuel.

- Apparently when the car is started for the very first time, the factory ECU advances the timing by about two degrees, and monitors the knock sensor. If any detonation is detected, the ECU will retard the timing by three degrees. It will continue advancing and retarding by progressively smaller increments. After a time, the ECU is doing the advance / retard by only tenths of a degree, and any power gains resulting from a tank of #1 racing fuel for example will take a long time to show, and not be noticeable. Resetting the ECU will cause the ECU to very quickly re-map the ignition curves when the car is restarted. The poster advises disconnecting the battery, pressing the brake pedal, and reconnecting the battery prior to staging.

A number of Skylines Downunder Club members have done this to their Skylines with good results. One friend reports a smoother drive, and more free revving. First impressions on it car is that it starts quicker (not that it ever cranked for more than a second or two), feels smoother in the low rev range, and seems to have a little more torque in low speed acceleration. Possibly better fuel economy also. It pays to reset after each modification to the vehicle, or soon after purchase to begin with...

You can reset your ECU by: under the dash near the fuse box there is a grey plug. Theres two wires all by them selves. While the cars ignition is on short the two wires out for 2 seconds. This goes into diagnostic mode. You will see the check engine light flash. It should flash 5 times quickly and 5 times slowly consecutively, this means your car is all OK. By doing this it also resets your ECU and without all the problems like alarm, reseting clocks and radios.

Will the reset have a good effect on my car even if my ECU is standard? i have some mods done, and recently my mechanic retarded my timeing.... just wanna know if you guys think i should go ahead with the ECU reset.

btw will the reset change my timeing back to normal?

ah icic

oh and i can't seem to find the visual led display on the ecu

i manage to remove the kick plate(a big bitch of a job cos it feels like you almost break the damn thing)

and i pulled out the ecu

and only thing i see on it is the lil idle control thingy and next to it a small oval hole with clear film covering it. is that supposed to be the led display? cos i dun see any lights showing. or is it the leds inside the box? do i have to take apart the plates cos that can be a bitch with the loom cable in the way.