SAU Community

Got Bored Today, Modified Triple Gauge Cluster

walkoau

hey guys, i got a little bored today so i went to the local auto parts store picked up some 2'' gauges (volts and boost) and a shift light, and decided to replace the triple gauge cluster. took the cluster apart and removed the old gauges, the new 2'' gauges fitted in the factory holes easy with no cutting required, i just had to make a face plate up for the shift light. pretty easy low cost mod for those people interested.

thanks

Justin

post-1416-1156140720.jpg

post-1416-1156140861.jpg

post-1416-1156140925.jpg

this is exactly what I want to do, only with Defi link Gauges.

can you take a photo of the back of the unit with the gauges in them now?

will take a pic tommorow for you.

thanks

Justin

didnt you have a oil temp gauge? isnt oil temp more important than battery voltage??

i love seeing people do stuff when bored! good work!

steve

true oil temp is more important, but harder to wire up. i may end up moving the shift light some where else(surgestions anyone?) and put another gauge(oil temp) where the shift light is at the moment.

main reson for changing the cluster was to have a boost gauge capable of reading more than 1bar and to also have a PSI gauge.

i would have loved to put some better gauges in ie. defi but i just dont see the value for money.

thanks

Justin

Nice job, hope you have an easy way of turning the shift light off if you use this on the road too because it's gonna piss you right off after a week of driving at night!

Nice job, hope you have an easy way of turning the shift light off if you use this on the road too because it's gonna piss you right off after a week of driving at night!

that was my next question, coz now u cant put a cap on it becoz its behind the plastic lens, and those things are really bright i.e. blinding

Are you sure they a 2" gauges? I have several pics of people who did a similar thing and for alot of them, the gauge sticks out, looked like they had to do away with the plastic lens.

yeah the gauges are definetly 2 inch diameter, i think the bezel around the speco gauges are pretty small compared to some other gauges. i only just had room to fit the plastic lens back on, prob only a mm to spare.

i only drive the car on the weekends, and hardly ever rev it to 7000rpm(which is what the shift light is set at). the only real time i rev it to that is a the dragstrip.

this is exactly what I want to do, only with Defi link Gauges.

can you take a photo of the back of the unit with the gauges in them now?

hi guys

sorry it took a while to get a pic of the back of the unit, ive been heaps busy. anyway here are the pics of the back of the unit.....

post-1416-1156930610.jpg

post-1416-1156930725.jpg

post-1416-1156930762.jpg

post-1416-1156930796.jpg

i have a cheap ($180) shift light. its not LED and it doesn't bother me at night. it is all about how high you set them. if you set them at 6500rpm, then you are only going to have it come on when you are fanging it. if you are just driving normal it won't come on.

can you actaully look at the guages legitamtely and concentrate on driving at the same time? i find even looking at the factory clustor takes away my focus on the road ahead for a brief second