SAU Community

Fuel Economy For R34...is This Right?

Howie

Hiya guys, need some help from fellow SAU members.

My R34 GTT sucks petrol like ho. The last four fills i've recorded :

Litres, Kms Travelled, L/100km, Date

39.67, 293, 13.54, 15/06/2006

22, 181, 12.15, 1/07/2006

24.27, 186, 13.05, 20/07/2006

44, 304.1, 14.47, 1/08/2006

I drive pretty sensibly also, just the occasional squirt when needed.

The car's a tiptronic, 115,000kms and pretty stock... except for a k&N panel, and a factory nismo muffler + new cat. stock boost levels. had it up on the dyno a month ago, 150kw@wheels.

Does that sound right to you? Is there anything I can do about it (e.g. get a SAFC and have it tuned)?

Thanks heaps guys much appreciated.

Howie

Edited by Howie

So all the work you did to your car Stan didn't add anything to the mileage?

How much boost are you running?

Just cutting and pasting from your site mate hehe

* K&N Panel Filter in Stock Air Box

* Modified Stock Air Snorkel

* A'PEX Power Intake Air Pod

* Custom Cold Air Intake to Air Pod

* Custom Carbon Fibre Cold Air Intake Box for Air Pod

* TRUST Power Extreme II 3" Cat-Back Exhaust System

* Custom Stainless Steel 3" Split Front/Dump Pipe from Hi-Tech Mufflers

* 3” Large Body CATCO Hi-Flow Catalytic Convertor

* 3" Straight Pipe (No Cat)

* Custom Hi-Flow Turbo rated @ 450bhp

* Braided Oil Lines to Turbo

* Braided Coolant Lines to Turbo

* Tomei Type B Poncams (260degree Lift) for RB25DET NEO

* Tomei Adjustable Cam Gears

* Gates Racing Timing Belt for RB25DET NEO

* Nismo Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

* Bosch 040 Fuel Pump

* Custom Engineered Fuel Intake System

* NGK Iridium Spark Plugs (gapped to 0.8mm)

* Splitfire Coilpacks for RB25DET NEO

* Hybrid Electronic Boost Controller (Dual Stage) with Overboost

* A'PEX SAFCII D1 Limited Edition

* Hybrid Copy Front Mount Intercooler (600x300x76mm)

* Davies Crag 19 Row Transmission Oil Cooler

* Cusco Style Oil Catch Can

* Drift Spec 19 Row Oil Cooler Kit w/ Remote Filter Kit

* D1 Spec Radiator Breather Tank

* Cusco Brake Master Cylinder Stopper

Edited by Howie

that sounds pretty good. i get much worse economy. it all depends on whether you do city or highway driving. my girlfriend's sss pulsar (natro sr20) gets just under 12L per 100k's of city driving, and thats driving pretty sensibly (but its hilly here, and most of the time its still got the auto choke on cause i don't live that far from work). on the highway i get about 8L/100k.

my skyline on the other hand sucks it like its going out of fashion. i get about 16-17L/100k. i just have the usual mods, cooler exhaust, pod, more boost. and i give it a squirt every now and then.

Yeah, that list has changed a little too - haven't had time to upload or write up the new stuff.

Reason because I still get the same mileage (which I think is pretty bad I might add) is because of the computer. I'm using the HKS F-CON V PRO and my AFRs are 12:1 throughout the entire rev range...

Boost is currently set at stock as we're doing more upgrades to it before winding it up.

I'll post back in a few weeks time and tell you how the new setup + tune goes on fuel :laugh:

Sweet, i'm looking at getting an Apexi SAFC Neo at some stage to take care of the afr and timing.

Say with those mods there, have you had it on the dyno? Do you keep a log of fuel consumption also?

Very interested to see your results mate.

I think they are pretty standard rates. I get anywhere from 11ish-13L driving round the suburbs which I guess counts as city driving. Occasional squirt here and there and maybe I trip on the M5 per tank.

Avg is about 12L/100km

My trip to central cost, I was getting 10.5L/100km. I noticed that my car doesnt seem to that much better when doing only highway miles.

Oh and mods are pod + full exhaust, stock boost.

Edited by nuffsaid

Thanks for the replies guys. Well good to know it's not uncommon then. I'm coming from an R32 Gts-t, and that averaged around 10L/100km. Even with an added 500cc and variable timing, I wouldn't have thought the R34 GTT would be that much thirstier.. oh well :woot:

Might try freeing up the exhaust and running a SAFC and seeing if that helps things along a little.

That's much worse than mine... of a consisten 50L fill I get at least 400 from town driving and have gone to the 500's on freeway...

Even with the boost wound up and an exhaust...

So you're getting around 12.5L... that's pretty good mate. What boost level are you running? Do you have any other sorts of modifications?

Thanks for the replies guys. Well good to know it's not uncommon then. I'm coming from an R32 Gts-t, and that averaged around 10L/100km. Even with an added 500cc and variable timing, I wouldn't have thought the R34 GTT would be that much thirstier.. oh well :D

Might try freeing up the exhaust and running a SAFC and seeing if that helps things along a little.

You must also realise how much heavier the R34 is compared to the 32 :D.

I get roughly 420kms a tank. Mixture of city and hwy driving.

I've got a 3" Full exhaust, ssqv, EBC at 9PSI, pod. Apparently Vortex 98 gave me more kilometres :P

actually my lowest figure...

22, 181, 12.15, 1/07/2006

was achieved using Vortex 98. Might put the last one down to a shit batch of fuel, as my mate's wrx who poured in with me at the same time noticed his chewed more than usual too.

safc will only do afr's, not timing. you will need a sitc to do the timing.

drats... thought the neo did timing as well, it's just a afr/vtec controller. Guess i'll go the SAFC-II.

250kms stan?? you must've been driving it bloody hard mate :laugh: