SAU Community

El Falcon O2 Sensor On R32 Gts-t

CATKICKER

Hi Guys, I just replaced my O2 sensor on my R32 GTS-t with an EL Falcon replacement as reccomended here but it is idling like crap so I unplugged it and it is fine again...

I am guessing that I got the wires wrong.

The R32 Sensor has Black, Red and White

The EL Falcon Sensor has 2 White and a Black.

I am guessing that the black goes to black? The others I just copied the output from the R32 sensor (red was top right and white was top left)

I am guessing I have them wrong, can someone tell me what is what??

Thanks!!

Todd

i would've been easier to buy a r32 o2 sensor. they are a bit more (about $110 from autobarn for a NGK), but they plug straight in.

How much is R33 o2 sensor from there?

I also heard u can use EL falcon on R33... btw Paul33 might know how to fit them.

My Ford sensor had two white and one black. The black was the signal wire, and the two white were the heater wires.

My R33 plug had the same thing, but different colours. Could have been two black and one red. Can't remember, but they all hooked up fine.

Maybe someone adjusted your idle air control valve when your 02 sensor was dead? So when you plug it in, it's running correctly, but your adjustment is outta whack? Dunno. Just a guess.

Thanks but I don't think so. once it started playing up (after I put on a new dump pipe), I unplugged it to bypass the problem.

Thanks for the info about the wires. As stated the ford one that I have also has 2 white and 1 black wires.

The r32 sensor has a black, red and white. IS ANYONE ABLE TO TELL ME WHAT IS WHAT??

Thanks for your help so far!

Maybe someone adjusted your idle air control valve when your 02 sensor was dead? So when you plug it in, it's running correctly, but your adjustment is outta whack? Dunno. Just a guess.

I would wager a guess that the black and red both go to black, and your white wire goes to the black on on the 02 sensor. Still, dunno... someone will give you the answer though! You definately got the right one for your car, yeah?

Todd even though it is a cop-out, there are only three different ways to connect the sensor, given that the signal wire can only go in three different terminals and the heater wires are irrelevant. (and as Randy said, black = signal, white = heater). If you don't receive an answer, try trial and error and use a voltmeter to test the signal output. If you're in Sydney I can help out with a Consult cable.

As an outside chance, did you reset your ECU after installing? You'll need to clear the fault codes otherwise the ECU will most likely consider the sensor to be still broken and it'll revert to the run-rich ECU maps.

the r33 sensor is about the same price.

my guess is that the 2 outside wires (doesn't matter what colour they are) are the heater wires, and the middle wire is the signal. i'm pretty sure thats what they are on my 33.

So I am guessing keep it how it is, plug it back in and reset the ECU? If I still have the problem I will try swapping them around!

Would still be great if someone could tell me for sure... surely someone has done this to an R32 before.

Thanks guys!

I've changed my O2 sensor with an EL Ford one as well, my experience with connecting things up was the same as Randy's. After an ECU reset the car ran fine (and still does). :) Would it be fair to say that the middle of the 3 wires is the signal, the other two are the heater wires? (pretty sure that's how mine was).

just out of interest, whats the diff between the EL and the R32 o2 sensor? wouldnt it be easier to use just the r32 one?

what is the gain and purpose?

cheers

jabba

the el 1 is cheaper, but you have to wire it up.

i haven't done the research, but you have to take into account that if the sensor has different resistance and power then it can give the ecu false readings. for the extra money it is worth sticking with the proper one.

i know that the r33 unit is the same as used in the sr20 in the SSS pulsars and nx coupes (same part number). not sure if the rb20 is the same, but i think it might be.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question.

My car has an aftermarket computer. (Link)

Recently it has suddenly started getting worse fuel economy. Could it be my oxygen sensor, or does my ecu somehow not utilise the factory O2 sensor anymore?

It's probably a basic question, but I'm not mechanically minded!

Please reply, I'm sick of getting ~100kms less per tank then I was a few months ago!

If it's not likely to be the sensor, what else could be causing my sudden pathetic fuel economy? It literally turned bad over night.