SAU Community

Need Insurance? Want Cheaper Insurance?

As some of you know I've had a tough time trying to find insurance after having had my license suspended for speeding and having a small at fault accident. One of the reasons I sold my Skyline was insurance and it's ridiciulous premiums.

The other day I called Famous Insurance and in a matter of minutes got the cheapest quote despite of my bad record. Today I went ahead with the policy and couldn't be happier.

Just to put things in perspective. I've called countless companies and they all either do not insure classic cars or I present too high a risk for them. I'm really sick of dealing with them and answering the same questions over and over again and hearing the same answers. The nearest quote I could find was $1090 with another classic car insurer which required me to get a valuation which costs over $100. Their excess was $500.

Famous on the other hand have offered me a premium of $600 with a basic excess of $200 and have insured me for the purchase amount (not market value like most other insurers wanted to). Following year the premium will drop to under $400 pending my driving record during the year.

Xxxx Xxxx who are meant to be lenient to high risk customers wanted to charge me around $2800 for market value which comes to $5800. Their excess was over $1000. Sure they are lenient but they should advertise the fact that they are also extortional. I had a third party property policy with them until today which cost me $693 with an excess of $1400!

Famous Insurance are an SAU endorsed company who offer our members a 10% discount or alternately will beat most quotes by 10%. Give them a call for a quote. You might be pleasently surprised.

George

Disclaimer: As any intelligent person would know, circumstances detirmine your premiums so what is expensive for me might be cheap in your case. SAU does not guarantee that Famous Insurance will offer you a policy.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

akira, i believe her name is Robin.

and to anyone wanting to take advantage of the 10% discount you will need to quote your Skylines Australia NSW membership number.

Has anyone ever made a claim with FAMOUS ?

THere is a very suss bit of paperwork that you must sign before receiving insurance.

along the lines of...

"your insurance contract may/has been arranged by an authorised foreign insurer that is not authorised under the Insurance Act 1973 to conduct insurance business in Australia. Such insurers are not subject to the provisions of the Act"

blah blah blah.

Not sure if this is dodgy or not but it certainly sounds it. This is why Im asking if anyone has ever made a claim

Two40,

Just out of curiosity, does your Famous policy cover you as a daily driver, or is it "weekend only" like Shannon's ? I'm in Sydney, rating 1 (70% NCB), low-risk postcode, over 30 & my best quote has been $2100 from Suncorp-Metway - and the car is totally stock !!

Also do they have the "10yr old" clause - where if your car is more than 10yo whilst under the policy, said policy then becomes null & void ? (beware of this trap !).

Forgive my interrogative style, but usually when something appears too good to be true it often is.

Cheers.

Ok to answer some of your questions

Famous is underwritten by Heritage Motor Vehicle Insurance. They have $10,000,000 liability cover. In comparison Just cars have $5,000,000

I have insured a Datsun 240Z, not a Skyline and yes my policy is restrictive ie I can only drive 8000km/year regardless of the weekday. It is not restricted to weekends or club days only. So I can drive it as a daily as long as I don't clock up more than 8000km. This is just my policy though. Classic cover. They do offer unrestrictive policies.

Improvise, I read that clause and that had me worried so I spoke to Tom about it and he basically told me that 50% of the $10,000,000 liability cover is payable by the off shore underwriters and the other 50% payable by them. Nothing to worry about and certainly other insurance companies would have simmilar setups.

neo, they cover all of Australia so yes, you can get insurance with them.

MrR33, no one I know has made a claim through them but they do pay out. Tom mentioned that the previous week he issued two cover notes on import cars one being a Skyline and by days end they were both a write off. Cost him $54,000 without seeing any paperwork or anything.

I don't want to divulge names as I don't know if he minds me mentioning his name but one of my friends from this forum just made a winscreen claim with them and they have sent him a cheque already.

Again I would like to say that we can't guarantee that they will give you the cheapest quote ever. Variable circumstances will always play a big part in the type of premium they offer you.

Although I have been fortunate enough to not need to claim yet, Famous has been very helpful with all my enquiries. Their quote to me was exceptional also.

Last Friday after breaking my windscreen I called them to let them know, they had a recommended Novus as the repair outlet and said if i called them they would simply send the bill back to famous. I called novus without success and ended up taking the car to obriens as I didnt want to stuff around. I rang Famous on Monday and let them know and they said "no problem - send us the receipt and we will send you a cheque in reimbursement"

Pretty good service so far I say.

Ok firstly, cannot speak highly enough of Famous. I have heard nothing but good thing and they have tried their best considering what i asked of them.

Robyn Clements used to be with Harringtons here in perth up until 6mnths or so before its demise (dont know why) when it then became Austnet Group which is also very good. They insured my high risk ass when no1 else would which i will be ever grateful for. They were actually underwriting through SGIO at the time. She moved over to Famous where shes doing the whole import thing as far as i know.

Hey so do we have to be an official club to get this discount? We WA ppl havent got that far yet. :P

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 4NGI3

Hey, i'm in perth and i see everyone talking about famous insurance. are they based in sydney? do they only deal with sydney customers? and also all u ppl who are insured with famous, are you 25+yrs old? i'm 24 this year and i'm having a hell of a time trying to find someone to insure me. i've been told to put it under my parent's name til next year but if i have an accident in it, I'M not covered because i'm under 25. anyone else run into a similar problem or have a suggestion for me?:P

Actually they're in Subi!!

my bro is 21 and just got insurance on a silvia with them (wearing a recent at-fault accident) so you shouldn't have any troubles

give robyn a call and she should be able to sort you out, very competitive quotes and i don't know of them knocking back too many ppl

good luck!

Guest 4NGI3

3700 a yr? jeez! is that the same for everyone under 25? or because ur only 18? that's pretty pricey hey. how much is ur excess?

Guest 4NGI3

was that the only insurance company that would take u on? i had no idea insurance was going to be so hard to find. i asked sgio, rac and all the well known insurance companies but they fully threw a "talk to the hand" attitude on me. now i have to try to get insurance from dodgy named companies like, "Young & Cool" or something like that. who will prolly charge me $5000 a year and $3000 excess!:goddam: