SAU Community

Go Karts (racing)

geno8r

Just wondering if anybody here races go karts?

I'd love to race cars but that's too expensive so go karts are the next best thing (& seems the base point for most race drivers)

If anybody has any information they can pass onto me would be great.

Price range of karts (a good starting race kart)

Typical maintenance costs

Licenses, costs.

Good web site resources?

Thanks, :woot:

Edited by geno8r

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't had any first hand experience but have a few friends that have raced competetively! From what i've been told, it is relatively cheap to gets started but it's the maintainance that kills you! As they are so evenly powered any advantage you can get is vital. But advantages usually come with a price tag. For example, I've been told that if you want to run at the top consistantly you at least have to have a new set of tyres each round and don't think because they small they're any less expensive! So it can get costly, no where near a car mind you.

But they also said if you just want to get out there for some fun wheel to wheel action and aren't conserned with being the next lowndesy, it can be an economical and extremely fun form of motorsport!

I'd love to get into it but as I posted before, I'm tall and heavy so I already have an anoying disadvantage.

Little buggers zipping past me on the straights :woot:

i used to race karts. you can heaps of fun for about $3000. buy a 2nd hand kart and racing gear and get into it. i cant remember how much a club licence/membership is, but it ain't cheap, and you've also got to do some marshalling too. but its all worth it.

if you want to be competitive, then you've got to start spending big dollars and take the time to test and configure your kart to each circuit you race at. tyres, engine rebuilds (after about every 12hrs worth of use!) and basically not stingeing on anything which you might have in the past.....

My mate has raced Karts for about 4-5 years now, I am his pit crew. He used to race sprint Karts(kart below without the big nose cone) the engine was a 100cc Clubman. There is a few engines you can get ranging from size and power, they start from a J to a Clubman to a Rotax125cc clutch or a Leopard. J's and Clubman's are clutchless whereas the others have got clutches. Sprint racing is fun but VERY compeditive, eespecially with the younger guys coming up from juniors. We have stopped racing Sprint and now running a Superkart(pictured below with big nose). Superkarts are run on normal sized tracks, we only run on Mallala over here, but over in Vic i think there is at least Winton and Phillip Island. Superkarts have different classes also they are 80cc G/Box, Rotax 125MAX non G/box(which is what we run), 125cc G/Box and 250cc Internationals(G/Box and faster than V8 Superkart.......No S$#T) We run the 125MAX over here because we get fields of at least 25-30 if not more and it's fun to race.......especially slip streaming!

Below are a few websites i can think of

http://www.kartsportnews.com.au/

Adelaide Superkart Club(just for some info.....obviously your not in SA)

http://www.superkart.net.au/site/index.php

And also i have put in our sponsors Kart Shop Website

http://www.iwt.com.au/default.htm

Sprint Kart

Superkart

My mate in the thick of it at Mt Gambier

My mate has his Sprint Kart up for sale on IWT website.......just a quick plug for it.....LOL

Hope you find all the relative links and information you need and good luck on what you decide!

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

ive raced competitvely now for around 3 years and find it alot of fun however i know some ppl say its cheap but if u want to race competitvely it can hurt ur pocket iv placed top 10 in nationals 05 n top 5 most wa states for a brand new kart and motor ur looking at around 6 grand 2nd hand u can pick one up for around 2.8-3.5 iv learnt alot of my driving skills from racing karts and intend to race more however very keen to move up to formula fords or saloon cars

i reckon if your just after a cheap thrill every now and then, go to a hire go-kart place. they are expensive, but some of them are actually really close to being "race karts".....

but hey, dont let me talk you out of it. i had a blast when i was doing it....

Guest Mashrock

you can find alot of karts on ebay for under 3000. which seem pretty good.

the local karting track should only cost you 20 or so bucks fro a day or so. or maybe only a yearly membership??

and you supply the rest. fuel etc etc.

i beleive thats how it goes in sydney at picton track.

I used to race karts a few years ago.

If you are self employed contracting in a physical trade be careful. I broke my hand racing and was out of work for 8 weeks. So it was indirectly very expensive.

I think you need to set a budget for the year and stick to it.

Set up:$5500-$7500 for kart, trailer,suit,wet's,slicks,tools,license,spare engine depending on class.

Running for the year:Anywhere from $1000 up. You could spend $1000 testing and practice and $1000 on select events for the year depending on what you are after.

Another option is running in endurance series. The endurance association lease karts to teams who want to arrive and drive. I thinks it starts around $600 for the team to run in a 6 hr race so it can be cost effective( great idea for skylines australia punters).

Hope it helps a bit

make your own

steal your old mans law mower and get a few mates around with some slabs and a welder.

If your reaonably clued on it can be done without massive expense.

Under $1000 i reckon at the worst

Guy i grew up with had 2 home-made go-karts, top fun.

His old man was the first Top Fuel Drag bike to crack a 6.99 back in the 90's aswell.

• 2 weeks later...

I use to race. It was the best fun eva!!!! The club i joined gave you a key to the track when u pay membership which was about $110. Liscence around $280?? Bought my kart off a guy who is now racing formula ford for $1800 with a suit, helmet boots etc. Bought trailer for just over a grand. I was racing Senior National lights, (a J motor 100cc) Wasnt as fast as other classes but just as fun! A set of tyres lasted me a whole season which was pretty good. Race entry was about $50. The money is deffinately worth it!!

Due to lack of funds and time i also have my set up for sale!!

i'm also thinking of gettin a kart, what should one look for when purchasing a 2nd hand kart, in terms of engine life etc.

and what tools etc woudl one need to mantain the kart?

n ofcourse how fast do theses things go? never been in one sorry :unsure:

Edited by Suspense

When i first started i got by with chain lube, tyre pressure gauge(theres usually a compressor at the track), Hex key set (allen keys), Spark plug spanner, and normal set of spanners or ratchet, measuring tape for track of rear wheels. Then just oil and fuel to mix. I think thats about it! When looking at karts look for cracks in the frame, particularly under the seat or dodgey looking/flaking paintwork.

Most karters rebuild their engines fairly regularly, so check when last rebuild was done, and see if carbies clean and fuel filter used etc..

Not sure what sprint karting is like in the eastern states, but over here after we had the Nationals over here this year it has turned out sh!t, not as many people out anymore, this is why we went to superkarting at the start of last year. After this year we will be moving on again to finnaly race in Improved Production in the car we have been building for a couple of years now!

I would assume over east you guys still get a good represent at sprint meetings tho!

Get into it.....it's great fun, just steer clear of the young kids with fathers that are wankers and you'll be all good, just need to tell them that you race for FUN and don't care if you punt thier young wanna be race car driver off!!!!

If you are really keen you want to look at a 2nd hand rotax max. You can pick karts up to suit what ever standard of racing or a just as a social type of enjoyment.

I currently have 2 karts that i use here in Dubai and i was lucky enough to win the national championship here last year and attend the rotax world champion ship.

If you are going to get a 2nd hand kart a simple test to see if the frame is not twisted or bent is to turn the steering wheel from lock to lock and make sure that the outside wheel comes of the ground about the same distance when you turn from lock to lock. It should pick up either front wheel when this is done, if not then leave it alone you are buying trouble.

Also these days the rotax is the most popular class and they have different weight classes so there is something for everyone. Its a lot of fun but be careful as it is adictive ( highly ) All rotax which are being raced should come with a seal and from this seal you should be able to inquire how many hours of running has the piston done and bottom end for that matter. Ask for the contact details of the engine builder and talk to him they will get you onside quickly.

Im looking to get into karting now. Just starting the trail of getting it all organising.

I guess a kart would be a good start. Not looking to be competitive, but to just get out and have some fun. The track here isnt of a very good standard so it looks of more a social affair, which is fine with me.

Looking to go racing Senior National lights class as well I believe it is. Seemed to be about of field of about 6 people in that one when I went out for a look around the other day.

I just think it might get expensive quickly. Just gotta find a semi decent kart first, i have a few numbers of a few shops so that will be the first point of call i reckon.

Just got back into racing karts after a year off and missed every moment of it.....If you are considering getting into it then check out the local tracks and see what the biggest classes are ( usually rotax, clubman or J's) Be wary that with a rotax you need to upgrade to a B grade license b4 you can start from the front of the grid. They usually put C graders and P platers to the rear, this is why a Clubman would be a good start. Don't expect to fast straight away as there is more to setup with chassis than you may think....the first year is usally just for learning :blink: Re. Turbo tim....where are you located? cause if you are in sydney i can hook you up with a kart dealer to talk to. :)