SAU Community

Hks Gt-ss Vs. Gt-rs

Hi all,

I've just sold my HKS 2530's and looking to get either HKS GT-SS's or GT-RS turbos.

I've heard great things about the GT-RS on S15's but nothing about them on GT-R's.

I found the 2530's very laggy down low and very damn punchy up top. Then again I had only done a street tune and not a full dyno tune.

In any case I have sold them. I am looking for something which spools up very quickly for track/circuit work. NOT INTO DRAGS AT ALL. Must be great for track work and come on gradually not like my 2530's which just went insane up 6000/7000rpm but had nothing at all down low.

I've read on some forums that the GT-SS is tiny, small as stock but spool fast but can make a lot of power. I am scared that the GT-RS will be just as laggy as the 2530's as they seem to be even bigger than the 2530!

I am running an RB26 with Tomei oncams (Type-B), HKS rods and pistons, 550 Nismo injectors, stock afms, power FC.

Any advise/opinions especially from experience would be greatly appreciated cheers peeps!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin, as with several others, im running the HKS GT-SS's with Tomei Type B Poncams and making around 320awkw on a very safe tune.

The norm for most people running this turbo/cam combo seems to be around 315-330awkw, dyno and engine specs depending.

They are an awesome street turbo, particularly if you are looking for response.

the 2530's shouldn't be that laggy.... you make them sound really laggy...

The GTSS are good mid range, die a little up top, but give some good average power... I'm happy with them...

Hi all,

I've just sold my HKS 2530's and looking to get either HKS GT-SS's or GT-RS turbos.

I've heard great things about the GT-RS on S15's but nothing about them on GT-R's.

I found the 2530's very laggy down low and very damn punchy up top. Then again I had only done a street tune and not a full dyno tune.

In any case I have sold them. I am looking for something which spools up very quickly for track/circuit work. NOT INTO DRAGS AT ALL. Must be great for track work and come on gradually not like my 2530's which just went insane up 6000/7000rpm but had nothing at all down low.

I've read on some forums that the GT-SS is tiny, small as stock but spool fast but can make a lot of power. I am scared that the GT-RS will be just as laggy as the 2530's as they seem to be even bigger than the 2530!

I am running an RB26 with Tomei oncams (Type-B), HKS rods and pistons, 550 Nismo injectors, stock afms, power FC.

Any advise/opinions especially from experience would be greatly appreciated cheers peeps!!!

GTRS's are a touch laggier than the 2530s. On a stock engine with type B poncams, I was making 1.3 bar at about 4800RPM with GTRS turbos.

GTSS's have much better mid range, but not enough top end for me...

Tomei do a 2530ish sized pair of turbos, maybe they are worth a look.

For what you want them for, you cant go past GTSS's. I have them on my 34 on a stock , unopened engine and with stock cams, they will give you plenty mid range for the track . They will run out of puff above 7000 rpm, mine drop from 16 psi to 15 psi up high . The GTSS's are comparable with my stock 34 turbos, very little difference in response and a little more up high .

Car is still good for 11.8 @ 117 mph in the heavier 34 body with the aid of a 6 speeder .

I had Nismo N1's in another car, more power up high but much less response .

If you thought 2530's are laggy, GTRS are a bit laggier still .

They are not cheaper turbos!!! And certainly not a RPM special (this time)

They are Genuine HKS turbos outta the box. If you want the installation instructions your more than welcome to them as they are in Japanese and useless to me... not that i need them however :worship:

I didnt get mauled by Customs and the bloody effort you need to go to if you wanna get stuff from them for nothing.

Although there is now a virtual equivalet from Garrett on offering now.

Not that i know any specs, nor will i... so dont ask :D

What sort of top end power would Justin make with his mods plus the GT-SS turbos? Because I want to aim for the same setup and if the GT-SS's have less lag I will definately go for them over a higher PS turbo setup.

cheers

Jack? No he doesnt... well... if i recall the last convo

He has the Garrett ones you can buy off the shelf if i recall.

Bigger than GT-SS. Almost a 2530 equivalent as they make more than a GT-SS equipped GTR