SAU Community

Hicas Light

LEWIS

hey guys i recently purchased a 1990 r32 skyline gtst with only 88 000kms on the clock and all in great condition..but driving the 32 on my way home from brissy i noticed the HICAS light had come on.. so i checked it all out and everthing is full and all OK but it only comes on wen im on the higway not around town.. i was thinking it was a faulty float or sensor or sumtin?? im really just guessing to wat the problem is but any ideas would b much appreciated

thanks heap

shane

Check the battery. Does it only happen when u got stereo a/c on? Had the same problem on my 32 turned out to be the battery didnt believe the mechanic when he told me changed the battery and the problem was gone. Also check your power steering fluid. Oh yeah does the steering get heavy and jerky?

Edited by Hui

hey thanx heaps guys but i have checked the fluid pretty much everytime the light comes on just to b safe but its always full and na it doesnt only happen wen i have the stereo or a/c on it just happens when ever but its always been on the high way for some reason...but my mechanic thought that it could b a f**ked float u no how theres the white float in there wen ya take the cap off the power steering cannister thing do u think that could b it??

thanx

seriously i wouldnt stress about it

i have had my r33 for 1 yr now n it has done exactly the same since day one.

Its only ever comes on when im driving on the highway and for me it comes on at exactly the place on the highway everytime.

There is no change in my drive from when the light is off to when it is on.

And by the way it could b a number of things it could from an after market steering wheel with out hicas capible boss kit to fuilds to anything.

thanx jackie i didnt think it was anything major cuz it feels fine to drive

also GTR sean wat if there is a red light flashing wen the ignition is on wat does that mean?

and is that bad?? lol

thanx guys & girls

got an issue similar in a mates 32 GTR, it flashes rapidly and you can hear a weird clunking noise at idle randomly...weird..kinda looks like an electrical connection, coz the hicas light flashes really quick and randomly.. any ideas?

Its a fault code. count the flashes and the flashes will be in groups.

eg 4 flashes then 2 flashes is 42.

Give us the code (number) and i'll look up the fault for that number you give me.

thanx a heap mate how do u no this shit lol but yeh ill do it in the morning b4 i go to work and ill PM you tomorrow arvo bout 6 after work k thanx man but wat could the worst outcome b?

its not a code, like its so rapid you cant count it..like its physically a loose wire or something, or a power short...ill have a look at it closer though..see if i cant find anything else about it

its not a code, like its so rapid you cant count it..like its physically a loose wire or something, or a power short...ill have a look at it closer though..see if i cant find anything else about it

Has same problem

check battery connections

I found on mine that the connectors that go into the red plastic connector on the positive side were completely corroded, after cleaning , issue gone

my g/f's r32 started doing it heaps. Turns out the alternator was dead.

Low charge seems to cause the hicas light to come on and the steering to f up.

Mi hicas light comes on at exactly the same point when i drive up the south eastern freeway...(from my house in kensington ...sa....) its the straight where it becomes 110km/h... i thought it was coz you are driving at 80km/h for 15 minutes or something.... coz it comes on at exactly the same time...every time... my light just stays on, doesn't flicker....

Hi Guys,

I have a series 2 R33 GTS-T, haven't had it very long and know very little about them atm. I have a question about the rear wheel steering which some of you might be able to fill me in on... since this seems to be the place with all the knowledge... I'm not sure whether the rear wheel steering is working. I would imagine there would be a way to test this. I've heard that alot of the cars when imported, have this disabled for drift reasons or something of the sort? Does anyone know of an easy quick way to find out if it's working or not???

Thanks...

A second question, none related to this is a neon of some sort in the rear Skyline badge, I believe this was a factory option. It worked when I bought the car but died not long after, any ideas where I can purchase a new panel or something???

Cheers guys... :laugh:

Don you are correct people do put wat is called a HICAS lock bar on their cars to disable the HICAS i am not 100% sure why but i do know that HICAS is crap anyone correct me if im wrong but i think it makes u understeer or oversteer possibly i duno.

A way to test yours might b to get someone to sit in the drivers seat n turn the steering wheel whilst the car is running n u stand at the rear of the car n watch the rear tyres u should b able to see the tyres move slightly but then i dont know since i havent tryed it.