SAU Community

4wd Light On

gtr2env

That means the car is running in rwd mode (4wd means rwd? go figure), ok on an R32, not so good for R33 or R34. When you switch the car off then back on it is re-calibrating its sensors and turns the front drive back on.

Check your fluid level in the reservoir in the boot on drivers side and check your tyre pressures as well though this usually brings in awd at a very low level all the time.

May be worth bleeding your system as well (- special proceedure in manual and HPI #58 (High Performance Imports issue 58)

Recently bled mine and now instant response!

hello

some times the 4wd light will come on but if i turn the car on than off it will go a way.

what could this be.

thanks

Hi there,

I had this same problem with my GTR but I actually noticed a difference in the car's behaviour first. In the boot under the parcel shelf there is a computer with an LED that flashes. It will just keep cycling through so next time you start the car and the light comes on, pop the boot and get yourself in there so that you can see the led. Count the number of flashes. If it pauses and then just flashes the same number of times again, then you're done. Refer the code to a manual or you can take it to a workshop and have them refer it for you. If there is more than one error code, the first one will flash, short pause, then the next one and so on. For example, my computer flashes 9 times, short pause, 8 times, short pause, 18 times, long pause and then repeats the cycle.

Have you checked the fluid level in the reserviour in the boot? This is behind the trim on the right between the back of the wheel arch and the tail light. Hopefully the error codes from the computer will give you your answer, because there are so many different things it could be. If the fluid level is fine then I would bleed the system (nipple at back of the transfer case and above the diff) to make sure there isn't any air. Check that your tyre sizes & profiles are the same, as different sizes can damage the diff. The important thing to remember with this in mind is the rolling diameter must be the same.

To be completely honest with you, having been what I have been through, I would just send it to a workshop. But if you want to, you may as well check as much as you can yourself first. Check the sensors underneath your centre console, if the indicator is white then they should be fine, if it's red then it's probably a wise idea to replace them. When was your front diff oil last changed? The next things that I know of are worn clutch packs in the transfer case or a pump that is on the way out.

Best of luck with it. And on a finishing note i'd like to say thank you to Duncan and GTRKen from these forums for your help and patience with my attessa questions and problems. I'd also like to thank my workshop of choice for diagnosing the problem when i'd had enough of trying to figure it out for myself (Speedworks) haha.

• 8 months later...

so what was the problem? im getting the 18 flashes code

Hi there,

I had this same problem with my GTR but I actually noticed a difference in the car's behaviour first. In the boot under the parcel shelf there is a computer with an LED that flashes. It will just keep cycling through so next time you start the car and the light comes on, pop the boot and get yourself in there so that you can see the led. Count the number of flashes. If it pauses and then just flashes the same number of times again, then you're done. Refer the code to a manual or you can take it to a workshop and have them refer it for you. If there is more than one error code, the first one will flash, short pause, then the next one and so on. For example, my computer flashes 9 times, short pause, 8 times, short pause, 18 times, long pause and then repeats the cycle.

Have you checked the fluid level in the reserviour in the boot? This is behind the trim on the right between the back of the wheel arch and the tail light. Hopefully the error codes from the computer will give you your answer, because there are so many different things it could be. If the fluid level is fine then I would bleed the system (nipple at back of the transfer case and above the diff) to make sure there isn't any air. Check that your tyre sizes & profiles are the same, as different sizes can damage the diff. The important thing to remember with this in mind is the rolling diameter must be the same.

To be completely honest with you, having been what I have been through, I would just send it to a workshop. But if you want to, you may as well check as much as you can yourself first. Check the sensors underneath your centre console, if the indicator is white then they should be fine, if it's red then it's probably a wise idea to replace them. When was your front diff oil last changed? The next things that I know of are worn clutch packs in the transfer case or a pump that is on the way out.

Best of luck with it. And on a finishing note i'd like to say thank you to Duncan and GTRKen from these forums for your help and patience with my attessa questions and problems. I'd also like to thank my workshop of choice for diagnosing the problem when i'd had enough of trying to figure it out for myself (Speedworks) haha.

In a 32 GTR, code 18 is "ETS pressure switch or circuit", hopefully it is the same for a stagea. Page CH-72 has trouble shooting for this problem, but it basically says if the harness (all electrical wires and connections) is OK it means replace the unit.

I have the same problem, difference is My 4WD LEd and ABS both indicators flashes to gether. I have no Idea why is this. :P

forgot to mention I have 1994 R33 GTS4,

One thing I noticed is once the 4WD and ABS led flashes the SLIP led doesnt work anymore, normally it flashes when the rear wheels loos control or slips. which means it has switched back to RWD from 4WD.mmmmmmm, No I dont know why ABS led allways cometogether with 4WD??????

Maybe a electrical problem.................. :dry::):(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

4wd & abs lights stay on after starting car (r33 gtr v-spec)

is there much difference between r32 - 33 gtr's

this only starting happening today, but after checking forum

seems like i'm not the only one.

hope its not an expensive fix?

I had the same probelm, I did a wheel alignment and, even after the alignment it came up few times, but it vanished completely now. I dont know what happend but looks like problem doesnt happen anymore....I think its something to do with sences, but the strange thing is 4WD and ABS comes up together :wave: .

I'm not sure about the R33, but i had the same issue with my R32, and it was just because the 4WD fluid was low. Topped it up and it was fine.

Maybe you should look at that...

• 2 weeks later...

when the car is first turned on

in the morning,the pump runs for about 6-9 seconds ,and switches off about 20 to 30 seconds later the pressure switch closes again running the pump for maybe 1 second till the switch opens again ,4wd light comes on the dash and disables the 4wd system,

i have used the gtr workshop manual 4 the error code that flashes on the ets 18 flashes,

computer and it says pressure switch problem, the switch that is closed when

the pressure for the 4wd system is low, runs the pressure motor till the

pressure opens the switch saying there is enough pressure in the system, now

the problem is after the switch is opened initally it has to remain open for

a certain amount of time to not cause and error if it closes which it does

early on startup it causes this error,so either the switch is faulty closing

too soon,or the system is loosing pressure too early causing the switch to

close again,does anyone there know if the pressure switch is soley

deactivated on pressure alone ,or if it has a sensor of some sort that tells

it to open and close

have rebleed system incase air in fluid was causing pressure drop making switch close again ,if i manually run the pump for a sec longer after the switch has opened, i dont get the error ,hence why i thing its a pressure problem ,maybe even the pump is loosing oomph and bareely opening the switch, have searched every skyline club thread,but noone seems to have had these symptoms,or any idea of cure,if someone has and fixed it please let me know ,cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
I have my 4wd and abs light on R32 GTR. My fluid level is fine and im getting code 16 from the control unit.

Can someone tell me what code 16 is? I cant find a list if i use 'Search'. Thanks.

faulty g sensor under the center console behind the handbrake dude

faulty g sensor under the center console behind the handbrake dude

Thanks for that.

Anyone had these fail before? I assume they arent repairable. I can hear like a hissing noise comming from the transfer case area for about 1 second before the lights come on. Im guessing this i the system activating then when it gets no signal from the sensor is sets the lights off. Is this slight hissing noise normal? (the pump)?

Thanks for that.

Anyone had these fail before? I assume they arent repairable. I can hear like a hissing noise comming from the transfer case area for about 1 second before the lights come on. Im guessing this i the system activating then when it gets no signal from the sensor is sets the lights off. Is this slight hissing noise normal? (the pump)?

yea its just the pump pressurising the transfer