SAU Community

Gt3071r On Rb20

grim32

Hi guys just thought id post up some pics of the work im doing to the car at the moment. I wanted to have all the pipe work done last weekend but some parts didnt show up in time, and had 3 birthdays to attend on the weekend so i only had friday night to work on the car. The exhaust still has to be joined up and a wastegate pipe made up that i will plumb into the exhaust just before the cat. The 3 pipes that are finished are 304 stainless. I have still got to run a few hoses and wires and do a quick tidy up of the engine bay, plus a bit of heat proofing but i think it will be ready for the dyno in 2 weeks.

post-21010-1141018415.jpgpost-21010-1141018652.jpgpost-21010-1141018861.jpgpost-21010-1141018994.jpgpost-21010-1141019145.jpgpost-21107-1124969471.jpgpost-21010-1141019428.jpgpost-21010-1141019536.jpg[attachmen

=24578:attachment] The pics were there, dont know what happened to them. Hope they come back.

post-21010-1141019313.jpg

post-21010-1141019664.jpg

Edited by grim32

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

prepare youself for lag city hehe

i built up my old rb20 with a big setup with still standard internals and it was alot of fun to drive when boost kicked in eventually hehe, here is mine i built. do you have cams ? i didnt get sull boost till about 5000 -5500rpm just so you know and can be prepared hehe !! have fun

1146b0uo.jpg

1158b5yx.jpg

she looks nice grim, can't wait to see the results.

also, i think you made a good choice turbo wise. i've been eyeing this combo out and think it would be perfect for the RB20, unfortunately, i don't have the cash to buy one of those atm, plus i already have a Trust TD06-25G kit sitting at home waiting to go on ;-)

good luck dude, let us know how she goes.

Carl h - Thanks, well i guess im now a RB20 GT30xx brother lol. There were lots of turbos i wanted including the GCG RB25 hiflow, HKS 2835, Trust TD06, i searched through countless posts and spoke to lots of people and this turbo was the one stuck in my mind when it came time to order one. The specs are

GT3071R

comp- 4" inlet, 2" outlet, .50ar, 71mm wheel with 56 trim

exh- T3 inlet, 4 bolt outlet, .63ar, 60mm wheel with 84 trim.

Roy - Yeah the whole car was painted nearly 2 years ago, you can see why i picked the username i did going by the pic of the bonnet

post-21010-1141093829.jpgpost-21010-1141093912.jpg

Driftsquad- All my other mods are listed in the RB20 turbo upgrade thread.

SXC180- I didnt think it would have that much lag, oh well i guess ill find out soon enough. Did your turbo have the same specs that i listed?

RS500- Thanks, i thought this turbo would be a good match for the RB20 but i guess theres only one way to find out for sure.

nuffin works- Ive driven the car lots of times in the rain with the filter there and had no problems, but i think you could be right. The car isnt a daily driver its my toy, so i think i would leave it at home rather than drive it through thunder storms.

I think the secret to having a reasonably quick RB2 is being willing to wring 2nd gears neck. If you shift 1st and 2nd at 8,300rpm (approx) then the engien doesnt really fall off boost that much, even with the laggier setups.

3rd and 4th gear i dont rev near as hard as it doesnt lose as many revs on the gearchange.

What is the diameter of the exducer of the exhaust housing? Considering its a pretty big exhaust wheel, i wonder what would happen if you threw 0.57 (ewhatever it is) housing on it.

At the end of the day, the 0.63/0.87 etc is just a ratio, so with a big exhaust wheel its still going to flow a bit, lol its probably never been done for a reason...but i know a car that ran a 0.5* housing on a big turbo on an RB26...it seemed to work well

What is the diameter of the exducer of the exhaust housing? Considering its a pretty big exhaust wheel, i wonder what would happen if you threw 0.57 (ewhatever it is) housing on it.

I havent pulled the housing off to measure it but it looks to be about 55mm where the wheel sits and goes out to 75mm at the flange.

my turbo was a GCG turbo

front cover was AR .70 and rear housing was .63

i got the turbo brand new but i think its also cause i had a custom plenum made which had a larger volume so this didnt help for the lag factor. But once it gets goin it sounds and goes awesome hehe

im curious as to why you've chosen such a laggy combination

you don't mind that power will come on so late in the rpm range ?

noone cares about lag when you have a good power range....

this is a rb20, they love to rev so he will be able to rev from 4500-8500

thats like having a rb25 that comes on at 3500-7500

im curious as to why you've chosen such a laggy combination

you don't mind that power will come on so late in the rpm range ?

See here is the thing...its a 2.0L engine with relatively short stroke...so if you want to make decent power with one then you have to be willing to sit back and wait for the ride. Your never going to be able to have your cake and eat it too.... :cheers: