SAU Community

Hicas The End Is Near I Feel!

nsta

Hey guys, has anyone ever experienced HICAS more than 5 times in the span of their car's life? yup thats right, all scared the S*&t outta me too!, i mean why does it do what it does, i sometimes feel that it could be more a driver error, but all the symptoms are there, main two being 1) over 80km and 2) vicious and oncontrollable (so true)

Im very greatful ive been lucky these five times whilst on quiet roads (i clawed the side of my car once), but i think ive come to a point where im thinking HICAS has to go?what do you guys think?anyone here experienced HICAS kick in before?

I've really only heard bad things about HICAS, and ive only experienced it on the road twice (thankgod), as the rest were trackdays which weren't so bad, but its always on the back of my mind, but the thing is , i do forget about it at times, and worry that one day its gnna give me hell!

Does HICAS only work around corners or even sudden movements on the straight?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HICAS (or any 4WS) is great on a street car that gets driven well below the limits. Theoretically, it should improve the steering response, stability and turning circle of the car.....in the same way that theoretically, traction and stability control makes your car go faster around the corners :D

As for a brief description on what HICAS does, run a search for the word "HICAS" on this Q&A page:

http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/february05/ask_sarah/

umm, at 80+km around a corner, it can ,depending on how you've attempted cornering give you what i belive to be some sort of vicious oversteer, which is very very hard to moneuvre/correct, i havent been able to, but luckily, i never hit anything (bar that one time, which wasnt too bad), it unnerving cause some corners it wont kick in, whereas others HELLO HICAS!!!!!!

someone posted this pic earlier when sumone asked abt the same thing..

I like his explanation ...

HICAS is 4 wheel steering

HICAS stands for "High Capacity Active Steering"

suppose to correct, minimise your understeer when normal driving, but very annoying at high speed

untitled.bmp

Edited by SKY 34

ohhh alos HICAS is in GTT +- 0.5 degrees or so I heard

while SUper HICAS is in GTR +- 1 degrees

use a HICAS lock bar to remove that problem~~

I experience HICAS thingy, went into wild snakey, I can't control the car....but never tried with the lock bar...so it's either my driving suk bad..or it's HICAS...

I'd like to believe it's HICAS :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by SKY 34

hahaha, you're with me on that one, id like to believe its HICAS, but i do believe its HICAS as ive never experienced anythign as vicious as this before, and im always driving on the limits when it happens, this aint a good combination for a car that actually handles well before this sudden HIT

I dunno abt the details...the pic is suppose to be from R34 manual...it's showing HICAS correction at slow med and high speed...

but if you ask me what exactly happened during cornering I can't really tell....I think the car will try to prevent your wheels from loosing traction so 1st thing the TCS will cause fuel cut.

If radius of turn is wide enough, the TCS will not activate (I'm not sure how TCS works either but I notice if my radius of turning is wide, TCS does not kick in)..

in this case now the HICAS will try to prevent understeer, also for more traction, the rear wheel will turn in the same direction as the corner you taking (see picture, high speed)...let's say fast corner to right, front wheel to right, rear wheel to right slightly....as you countersteer (steering wheel turn to left), the front wheel to left..but the rear still to the right because of HICAS....I would imagine this will create a rotating motion making the car want to spin 360 degrees anticlockwise( massive oversteer)....

so the tail of the car is now swinging in anticlockwise direction dangerously....and as you notice the tail of the car start spinning too much you slam the steering wheel back to the right...and there you go big messy snakey...that or you spin out....

I'm not sure about what I said...jsut my impretation of what might happened...I think what I said is rubbish ..lol ...but I havem't been able to find a proper explanation yet... ><

i got rid of hicas on my 32, and now on my 33 and never looked back.....wen ur driving hard 9in my case trying to drift) theres nothing worse the unpredictable steering reponse.....my suggestions, get a lock bar and feel how good it feels to have almost complete control of ur cars handeling.......then ul know if ur a bad driver or not LOL

Whats it cost to get this done? Can basically anywhere do it?

HICAS Lock Bars can be bought from Nengun/Greenline

http://www.nengun.com/catalogue/product/60

The other alternative is do what SK recommends and remove the bloody thing ;) (frees up approx. 20kg). Costs nothing if you follow a tutorial.

.....I thought SUPER HICAS was only on R33 and later models and I was sure that R32 GTR's on have normal HICAS....