SAU Community

Consult Lcd Display

Couple more pics, this time of a built display. You can see the switch on the top pic sticking out, this switches between consult lcd and consult interface. 3 buttons will be on final device to left of these, sticking out similarly.

protolcd1s.jpg

protolcd2s.jpg

current layout:

line 1: speed, rpm, battery voltage, economy, injector duty cycle, ignition timing

line 2: AAC %, o2 sensor, coolant temp, AFM, TPS

lcd402normal.jpg

Edit: updated screenshot (taken on angle as i had no contrast adjustment)

consultlcdproto.jpg

initial post below, above is updates

I finally finished off the first stab at my top secret consult lcd project over the weekend. Im thinking of making the final thing on a 40x2 LCD (normal yellow/green as i think its easiest to view in sunlight than the blue/white), but the general concept is the same as this attempt:

consultlcd.jpg

Plugs straight into consult port (no config/setup required), and displays on the 20x4:

line 1: speed, rpm, battery voltage

line 2: economy (see below), injector duty cycle, ignition timing

line 3: o2 sensor, AAC %, coolant temp

line 4: AFM, TPS, tps switch open/close (O or C)

Economy was one which i thought would be really useful - it shows instant speed per amount of duty cycle (fuel usage), calculated by (speed * 10 / duty cycle), the x10 is to show it more accurately).

So theoretically youll be able to find out on the highway what the most fuel efficient speed to travel at is, whether windows down or air-con on makes much difference, and whether granny shifting actually saves fuel (eg people might think 50km/h in 5th gear is good for fuel, but if the throttle and hence injectors have to be open a lot more than they would be in 4th gear, then you might actually be using more fuel)

I recorded a short movie of it. 4.16mb, MJPEG Codec (part of windows xp). Has since been changed to update values on the lcd roughly twice as often as it does in this, but shows it working anyway.

Im hoping to get a custom box made for it perhaps, as nothing long enough (for a 40x2) is also slim enough in other dimensions (and wouldnt want to have to cut each box manually preferably). If made compact enough, you could mount it in front of stereo, on steering column, etc.

Other possibilities for it include 0-100km/h times, remembering peak values, and perhaps integrating a consult interface into it.

Im hoping if all goes well i might be able to get it done for around $200, but extra things and custom enclosure might blow that out a bit. Will see how it goes.

Peter

Edited by NewKleer

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter, what cable are you using for this?

I have a similar thing to this, but it displays it on a Palm computer, and it records it to a log as well, maybe that would work out even cheaper because you can buy a Palm for around $50 off ebay

based upon the consult interface kit i made here in the group buys section, but essentially is half a consult interface, with a microcontroller and lcd added in.

ie, typically a consult interface/program is:

ecu-> signal conversion -> rs232 (interface) -> rs232 (computer) -> consult program

i could make it:

ecu-> signal conversion -> rs232 (interface) -> rs232 (computer) -> microcontroller/lcd

but its 'cleaner' to make it:

ecu-> signal conversion -> microcontroller/lcd

still, i can see the use in making it able to be used as a consult interface (and cheaper if your going to have both anyway, to just get one that does both), something like:

ecu-> signal conversion ->

branch 1: microcontroller/lcd

branch 2: rs232 (interface) -> rs232 (computer) -> consult program

and maybe a switch to switch between them.

Edited by NewKleer

based upon the consult interface kit i made here in the group buys section, but essentially is half a consult interface, with a microcontroller and lcd added in.

That seems to be almost identical to my cable, except mine is made to connect to a palm pilot instead of a serial port, do you know of anyone in melbourne that has successfully set up the consult kit? i'd be interested to see if the program i use can be used on these as well

click on people's profile from links in the thread and see who comes from vic (if they have it). id guess maybe 5-10 were from vic.

reasons im not interested in doing anything with a palm:

1) step back in time programming wise

2) not as much a plugin and forget type of thing

3) size (very limited mounting positions)

4) availability (relying on second hand via ebay isnt good for something, which if successful, may be used by quite a lot of people)

5) cant beat the speed of doing it in hardware

6) ive already started on my consult software which eventually will have a pocket pc version if im not too lazy.

a more advanced version of this will quite possibly form part of my last year uni project starting middle of this year, which was another reason behind it.

Edited by NewKleer

Wow that's crazy good. If you get them up and running all nice and smooth I can see you selling a Shipload of these.

I'd definitaly be interested at around that price!

Well done.

-Tom

You know what would be really awesome? (I'm sure you've already thought of this, and or its not possible or not viable or you have already done it)

if you could program in alerts, ie: Say your injector cycle hit 90% or over, it would let you know, or even better let you know and later on you could recall the stats of the car at the time of the duty cycle being at say 94%.

Same goes for watercoolant temp etc.

Edited by insu

thats a good idea - almost forgot that perhaps i should put some kind of buzzer on it (speed alerts, etc would be useful)

assuming the hardware is right (ie, buttons/switches/etc), im pretty sure upgrading the program on the chip will be easy to do (in order to add more features etc, and for the stuff im doing for uni project)

Very cool newkleer.. awesome work - can't wait for a finished one..

should be able to mount it in the single din - or glovebox.. or wherever..

any chance TPS will be displayed as a %..

would be great to be able to cycle through display modes..

tps varies from car to car and model to model, so % would be hard to do, unless i got it to allow you to dont press/press accelerator to floor for it to find min/max voltage and work out % from there, but i dont imagine that would be too high a priority, but a possibility nonetheless

good to get some good ideas coming :D

Edited by NewKleer

yeh impakt sells a consult lcd display (search consult in for sale) for $300, and the occassional second hand one pops up, however its quite bulky (box too tall for din slot) and pricey, however a lot of work needs to be done on something like this so i dont blame him wanting to get something out of it

yeh I know of impakts ones.

but as stated... too bulky for my liking.

and I also can't be bothered (read: wouldn't know how to) DIY one of your kits.

So I'm taking the lazy arse way and will buy one ready to plug in when you have it ready for shipping.

I'm with Links... I would really like to see TPS, O2, and AFM in percentages. Would it be hard to make a few models? One for RB25DET, RB26DETT, RB20DET and maybe a Neo?

Would it be a case of signal conversion?

Pete, You're an absolute champ in helping out forumn members with things like consult cables and the likes.

I can understand that people might want to charge a little since it requires a lot of effort, but imo 300 for the impakt one is way too expensive. I thoguht about buying it once, but i changed my mind. It's one of those 'cool' things you you buy and look at a few times and that's it. Or when you're trying to diagnose a problem.

Once again, you are a legend.