SAU Community

Running Your Stagea In Rwd Mode

Ska

So there is a lot of info on getting gtr's to run in rwd mode, and I was under the impression that stagea's were the same as 33/34 gtr's not able to easily put it into rwd mode other than removing drive shafts.

True/False?

From PM :)

its a peice of cake, remove a fuse in the engine bay, drive the car for like 200m just to bleed the pressure out of the front, then away you go. we have 2 customers with 4wd stags that come here. They pull the fuse out at there place then drive it in, by the time they get here, all good to go. give me a call if you are chasing some more info...

cheers

b.

milanco pro dyno

(07) 3390 8133

Drop the shaft if the only way

I hate the 4wd sometimes, is it easy to drop the shaft?

Trust me man, you dont have to drop the shaft. If the stagea seen at willowbank was white with odd looking chrome wheels, body kit and milanco stickers on the rear windows, then that is the car that we tune on our TWO WHEEL DRIVE DYNO. Geoff (the owner) was out at the track on wednesday night..... awd stageas can be tuned and run on a 2wd dyno.

I understand you CAN do it, but what about if you SHOULD do it like that?

How does driving the car bleed off the residual pressure on the clutch packs?

I have been told that yes you can do this fuse method in Stageas, R33s and R34s but you shouldnt as the way the system is set up (Unsure of those details it was a while ago) screws up the clutch packs unless the front drive shaft is removed..somthing about the shaft still roatating and wearing some other part down (Damn my feeble memory)

I have been told that yes you can do this fuse method in Stageas, R33s and R34s but you shouldnt as the way the system is set up (Unsure of those details it was a while ago) screws up the clutch packs unless the front drive shaft is removed..somthing about the shaft still roatating and wearing some other part down (Damn my feeble memory)

^^^ what he said. The R32, A31 Cefiro and C33 Laurel are the only ones with an AWD system that totally disengages when the fuse is disconnected/switched off etc. R33's, Stageas, C34 Laurels, Y34 Gloria's, Cedric's and Cima's and R34 all have a newer transfer system which dosen't totally disengage. You CAN go for short runs in quasi RWD mode with the fuse out, but a couple of guys found the hard way what doing a full track day in "RWD mode" does to the R33 GTR gearbox.

I guess a more pertanent question is Why would you want to, esp in a Stagea, unless you wanted to go to a skidpan day, but even then, I would much prefeer trying to 4wd drift ON A SKIDPAN than rwd........?

I mean it is designed to drive all four, so other than being able to tune it on a 2wd dyno, I dont see much point in it....?

Yeah see I am over the whole drift thing, I drifted the crap out of my old r33 at Queensland raceway and since I have resigned not to flog the crap out of my stagea, I dont think I'll be drifting it on a track anytime soon.

But I am very interested to get it onto a skidpan so that I can have a go at 4wd drifting. Last time I went with my r33, the instructer had a pretty worked STi and he took me for a ride and it was sooooooo wierd going past the 90 degree angle and pointing backwards and then have it just straighten back up, was quite different then rwd drifting that is for sure :w00t:

Last time my stagea was on a skidpan, Gary could not get it to drift, it had stock suspension and the auto in it at the time, but no matter how hard he yanked on the park brake, it would go to slide out and then just straighten back up, looked funny, but damn he got some great times on the motorkana section that day!

But there has been just a couple of additional bit put in it since then, so still waiting on my tune and then I'll be looking for a skidpan day to give it a go :P Personally I dont think I'll need or want to put it into rwd to drift it, the wieght and length would make it harder to keep on the drift wouldnt it?

Hi all... in issue 15 of HPI a chap that had one of the first stageas in the country said he made a simple 4WD bypass switch...that works on stagea's, GTR's (didnt say models) and 260RS's...and theres a pic of him doing a burn out to prove it...would seem a lot easier than these other methods.

i pulled the fuse in mine and went for a quick cruise. found that it does disengage the fronts, no worries. (even with the auto it got the rear tyres spinning).

i did find that my rear tyres chirped like crazy taking slow, tight corners though, and turning while reversing is a bitch. it turns out that it locks that back diff. i have no idea why. i know that the atessa drives opposite front and back wheels (front left, back right, or front right and back left, depending on traction, unless you engage the central lock). would it lock the back two so that it still has two wheels to send power through? beats me.